Sunday, September 28, 2014

Mori Holidays: A Visit to Amish Country

Hello Deers! The other day my family and I visited Amish Country together. It was a beautiful day, and the sun was shining with a soft breeze blowing. Nothing could have been more perfect.

We started off our day by eating lunch in a charming cafe called "The Breadbox", where they made delicious sandwiches on homemade bread. We ate our lunch under an arbor cover in vines. There were little birds flying in and out of the dense vines the entire time we were eating, and a few of them stuck there heads through the lattice to take a peak at us. It was adorable to say the least!


Inside the little cafe they had lots of yummy homemade breads for sale, as well as many delicious jams, jellies, and other spreads. We bought some apple butter (my favorite) as well as pumpkin butter, peach jam, and a marshmallow peanut butter spread.


They also had many homemade goodies for sale, like apple turnovers, pies, and brownies. It all looked and smelled heavenly! I wish I could have bought them all.


After that we walked around for a bit and looked through some quaint shops in the area. In front of one of the shops they had a beautiful koi pond. The little fish were so cute!


One of the shops was a scrapbooking and craft store. I picked up some really cute scrapbook paper for my art journal.


An also some stickers, and appliques for sewing.


 After that we took a buggy ride, but I didn't take any pictures of the buggy unfortunately. The ride was wonderful, although quick as we were in a hurry to get to the Menno-Hof Museum.

The Menno-Hof was a wonderful museum on Amish, Hutterite, and Mennonite history. It was really interesting to me to see how my faith and their faith can often be very similar. We arrived a bit late, and we thought we wouldn't be able to get a whole tour. But as it turns out, the man who was leading the tour was kind enough to stay behind an extra half an hour to let us get the whole experience.

Outside the museum, they had planted flowers in the pattern of a quilt square. It was so charming, and it left me wanting to do the same!



Amish country is very beautiful, with little white farm houses covering the countryside. And all the Amish community were coming into town while we were there for an event to raise money for charity. So we got to see lots of families riding in their buggies, and riding their bikes into town. And almost everyone was doing their laundry since the weather was perfect for it. Seeing all the laundry out on the line had such a nostalgic feel.

We finished our day by eating a homemade meal at an Amish eatery called Das Essenhaus. The food was so good, and I ate probably way more than I should have. 

Overall it was a perfectly charming day, and I would recommend it as a good day trip for anybody. But it was especially nice for a Mori Girl. Beautiful countryside, delicious homemade foods, and people who live a simple and faithful life. A perfect holiday for a Mori Girl! 

I hope you enjoyed hearing about my trip as much as I enjoyed living it. And if you ever get a chance to visit Amish country, don't pass it up! It's definitely worth a visit.

2 comments:

  1. Kinda fairylike! The food looks awesome and I'd like to go craft supplies shopping too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a really lovely day out.

    I'm intrigued by marshmallow peanut butter spread! :-)

    ReplyDelete