Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Big Dipper Wax Works Candle Review (Not Sponsored)

I recently starting diving into the world of Zero Waste living, so I've been spending some time looking up different alternative to things I already use. So when I finally used up all of my old candles that were made up of synthetic materials, it only made sense to look for a new, natural, zero-waste alternative. That's where this post comes into play. I thought it might be fun to share the purchase I made with you all, and give you my honest opinion. This is in no way sponsored, and I bought everything here one my own. But without further ado, here is my experience with the company Big Dipper Wax Works

Firstly, I should note that Big Dipper Wax Works uses all natural beeswax to make their candles, natural cotton for their wicks, and essential oils to create the fragrances in them. Normally, the candles they sell are sold either without any container, a glass container (which is recyclable!), or tins. I chose to purchase the tins myself. Although they are not as easily recycled, they are made up of mainly recycled materials, and can be reused by buying new votive sized candles to replace the old candles with when you are done. So that's pretty cool. I chose to purchase tins because they were cheaper, and I thought they would be bigger than they are, but I'll get into that more later on.

I purchased two tins, scented Harmony (lavender) and Enlightenment (Bergamot and Mint). They came packed in a small box filled with cardboard shavings. Both the box and the shavings were able to be recycled. It also came with a small informational card (which can also be recycled), a small package of matches made out of natural materials, and two honey sticks. The honey sticks were in plastic, which was a bit disappointing, but everything else was fine and I was able to dispose of it properly.



The tins themselves were without any packaging, which was amazing. But they were a lot smaller than I was expecting. You can see by the picture below how small they actually are in comparison to my hand. However, candles do last me a decent amount of time, so it doesn't bother me too much. I just wish it would have been a little more clearly stated how small they are. It does give the ounces on their website, but I guess I missed that the first time. Whoops!



The candles themselves smell great. If you like essential oil smells, you'll love these. They do have a slight hint of a honey smell when you sniff then, but once they're burning that goes away for the most part. They're also not overwhelmingly scented, and it's a soft smell that is very relaxing.


Overall, I'm pretty happy with these. As far as being natural goes, these candles are perfect. If you're looking to go zero-waste though, I would suggest getting some of the candles that are in glass, or package-less. But as a whole, I am pleased with my purchase, and I will definitely be considering purchasing a candle from them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment