Thursday, April 17, 2014

Mori Girl Shopping: A Guide to Becoming a Forest Wanderer


One of the biggest problems most new Mori Girls face is where and how to start building a wardrobe. I know from personal experience how hard it can be to jump head first into a style and have no idea what you're doing. So here's a quick list of ways to get started!

I won't go into in this post on what I believe are Mori wardrobe essentials, but I do have a few links to some other lovely peoples ideas. Miss Kellie has a basic Mori wardrobe guide here, this is helpful even for those who have been active in the style for a while. Miss Barbara Lynn at Carnivale Salt has a guide for Dark Mori here. What I do want to talk about is where to buy clothing.

The most obvious place to get clothing would be thrift shops, flea markets, vintage clothing stores, and other similar places. Older clothing often fits in well with Mori Girl. Also, some stores, at least in the US, are starting to sell some Mori-able pieces. Some people can get by with only thrift store shopping, as I have, but for some there are simply no good thrift stores in their area. Which leads me to my next point; Taobao.

Taobao is probably the best place to buy Mori clothing apart from Japanese brands themselves. Taobao is the Chinese version of Ebay, and there are many different Mori Girl shops. Taobao does require a shopping agent though, as they will only ship to China. You can figure out exactly how to do this by searching "How to shop on Taobao" on YouTube/Google. Make sure to watch a few videos and read a few articles to make sure you have the general idea. And to go about picking a shopping agent you can read others reviews, such as this one here, where they will tell you their experiences, and also how much each shopping agent will charge you. Please keep in mind when shopping anywhere on the Internet there is always a risk. Make sure to do research and purchase wisely. That being said, here is a list of a few Mori Girl shops on Taobao. (Those that are specifically Mori are marked with an *):
There are also many shops that will ship to you locally, as well as small self run Mori shops by Mori Girls just like you. Here are a few that will ship to the US/Europe. (Self run shops marked with ~):
In addition to this list, Ohyeahmorigirl put together an extensive list of shops that ship all over the world here.

The most important thing to remember when shopping for your wardrobe is this: Don't be afraid to try all kinds of pieces. Mori Girl is all about experimenting with layering, and learning what works best for your style.

Good luck venturing into the forest wanderers world, deers! And have fun shopping!


7 comments:

  1. Nice guide! I love many shops you listed, but having issues with buying online and having a low budget my favourite places where to buy mori pieces are markets, flea markets and the similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shops you listed were very helpful (as was the whole post). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my deer! I haven't updated this in a while, so I'm glad it's still relevant!

      Delete
  3. Do you know any shops that go to larger sizes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid I don't. Mori kei is kind of an obscure style, so most of the specific shops/brands dedicated to it are either catering towards tiny asian women, or are more couture-esque brands. It's a bummer, but there's not much that can be done about it :( I'd suggest checking your local thrift stores, and also keeping an eye out a mainstream stores as well. Both are great places to find mori-able pieces! It may take a little more effort, as they don't cater specifically to the style, but it totally is possible to dress in mori kei without ever wearing one brand piece. Sorry I can't be of more help! As someone with a larger breast and hip size, I understand the frustrations of trying to buy mori kei clothing! If I ever do find a store that sells larger sizes of mori clothes, I'll be sure to let you know :)

      Delete
    2. I'm also top heavy so I know how hard it is to find loose clothing. And thank you. I look forward to hearing from you should you find any.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts.
    Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete