Sunday, November 17, 2019

Mori Game Finds: What Remains of Edith Finch


Hello my deers! I have something new to share with you today that I hope you'll enjoy. I am personally a big fan of video games, and so I always love it when I can find games that give me a mori feel. So that is what I would like to share with you today. Today's game is "What Remains of Edith Finch".




What Remains of Edith Finch is not my usual type of go-to game, but I purchased it on a whim, and I'm super glad I did. The game is an interactive storytelling game where you walk through the life of the family of Edith Finch, all while exploring her family home. Some of the themes of the stories can be a bit sad or distressing, as they all involve stories of those who have passed, but each is done is such an amazing and interesting way. It makes you feel as if you are there. experiencing the story for yourself. 

Although the stories are great, my favorite part of the game is its amazing environments. As you explore the old Finch home and the forest surrounding it, it feels so real and lived in. It gave the game such a unique feel and really helped to immerse me in the story.

Overall, this game was amazing for me. It's rather short and easy to get through, but it was so engrossing that I wanted to keep playing and finish the story. In fact, I ended up playing it in two sittings, and in between, I couldn't stop thinking about it! And even after I had finished the entire game, I kept going back to replay different sections to find all of the hidden secrets.

So, what is mori about this game? The stories, in particular, are not especially mori, but the environment of the game is located in an old house in the middle of the forest, which gives off a very mori feel. And the way the house is created, and the stories told, have that "enjoy the small things" feel that many mori folk enjoy.

I would recommend this game to anyone who likes visually appealing games, or storytelling. I think it is an absolute gem and it has become one of my all-time favorite games I have ever played.

Have you heard of What Remains of Edith Finch? If so, did you enjoy playing the game? Do you also think it has a mori feel? I would love to hear your opinions in the comments below. Also, what are some "mori" games you have played? I would love to hear your recommendations! Until next time, my deers!


2 comments:

  1. You found Edith Finch! Want a related game from the same company? Check out 'The Unfinished Swan.' Basically, one of the theories running around out there is that one of the children disappeared into the painting that becomes the game "The Unfinished Swan." Bonus: the unfinished swan is very mori!

    But Mori games? Besides Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, and Minecraft? Here's some suggestions:
    Flower
    Sky
    Gris
    Abzu (for the hama kei lovers)
    Katamari Damacy
    Limbo (for the dark mori)
    Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Last Guardian
    Myst (so old school)
    Okami

    That should keep you busy for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! I really want to play Unfinished Swan, but I don't have a playstation :/ A lot of those games are actually on my list for future posts btw :)

    ReplyDelete