Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Mori Kei Activities for Summer


Summer is finally here, so it's time to finish out my mori kei activities posts with some appropriate things you can do for the season!

  • Go berry picking
Berry picking is both a fun activity and you get something yummy to eat afterward as well! You can go picking at a local farm, plant your own berry bushes to harvest from, or even go foraging in your local areas. Make sure to research what types of berries you can and can't eat before foraging though.

Picture Source
  • Walk barefoot in the grass
I'm not a believer in "earthing" or anything like that, but I do have to admit that walking through the grass in the summertime has its own sort of magic. There's nothing quite like kicking off your shoes and enjoying a walk through the grass. I'd highly recommend doing it!

Picture Source

  • Try out Hama Kei 
Hama Kei is a sister style to mori focused on the sea. And what better time to try out a seaside version of mori than in the summer! Bring out your blues, stripes, and flowy fabrics, and try a new type of summer coord.

Picture Source

  • Go sketching/take pictures of wildlife and plants
I've talked about this activity in various posts, but it's always fun for each season to walk around finding things to paint, sketch, or take pictures of. Summer has lots of beautiful scenes and new things to see, just like every season. So get out there and document the beauty around you!

Picture Source
  • Collect and press various plants
I've also talked about this activity before, but I think summer is another great time for pressing plants. You can find various flowers throughout the season, as well as other green lovely plants to press.

Picture Source

  • Dip your toes in a stream or lake to stay cool
Another great summer activity, and a great way to cool off! Find a stream or lake, or another body of water, near you, and dip your toes in and enjoy the view and the sound of the water. Very relaxing!

Picture Source

  • Visit a local dock (lake or sea)
Similar to the last activity, visiting all types of bodies of water are great in the summer. Find a lake or seaside near you, and enjoy the view, maybe even go for a swim!

Picture Source
What are some mori-esque summer activities that you enjoy! I'd love to hear about them! Happy Summer, my deers!

4 comments:

  1. Love all these activities! I'll have to find a way to convert this to living in the city. Maybe sketching in Central Park?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fav summer Mori activities: canoeing and kayaking, swimming in lakes and streams, hiking, camping, gardening, sitting outside to read or craft (that baby blanket is not going to make itself).

    Here is a resource everyone needs to check out: your local Parks and Rec. You have one! Get on their mailing list! It will alert you to all the amazing things that are happening locally in your city/town's green spaces. And you are definitely going to discover things you didn't know existed before.

    Here are some examples just from my local parks and rec: family picnic movie nights, by one get one days at the local pools, outdoor exercise programs, kids camps, adult camps, senior camps, intro to (insert cool thing here) lessons, community gardens, races, and music festivals.

    And if you have other towns close by that you travel to often, get on the mailing lists for their park and rec departments! You wouldn't believe how many times I learned about something awesome AFTER it was over. XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas Nicolle! I love my local parks and rec too :) They always have some fun activity going on.

      Delete
  3. In summer I like to be in my garden, walk in the forset around my house, go to the sea nearby, sit in the garden and read or do some knitting or just look up in to the trees. I also like to cook simple, green summerfood, and to make cakes with fresh berries or jam and things. This summer I hope to be able to travel north. To the most northen part of the sea I live in. I think it is called The Bothnian Sea in English. (A part of the Baltic Sea). I will pick plants and press them, it looks beautiful and is something everybody had to do in my country during summerholidays when my grandfather was a boy. He still has his herbarium. /Molly

    ReplyDelete