Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Why we should make International Mori Day a thing again.

Hello my deers! Happy (late) new year! I've been quite busy in my personal life recently, but I wanted to stop by and give you all a short post. (Also, the results of my recent survey are in the works! I have a lot of data to sort through and little time to do it. But I promise it's on its way!)

Today, I'd like to talk to you about something known as International Mori Day. 

It's likely that if you have even been somewhat involved in J-fashion for any length of time, you've heard of International Lolita Day (or ILD). ILD is a day when many people who wear lolita fashion get together for meet-ups, dress up and share their outfits on social media, and generally spread the word about lolita fashion to the masses! However, did you know there is such a thing as International Mori Day?

A while back on the International Mori Fashion and Lifestyle Facebook group, 2014 to be exact, a fellow mori person suggested creating our own version of ILD. Thus, International Mori Day was born! Sadly, it never really caught on fully, and most people have either never heard of it, or forgotten about it. But I would love to see it brought back and celebrated by the mori community internationally.

The collage created during the first International Mori Day event in 2014. (If you look closely you can see me, and maybe some other familiar faces!)

So, if we started our own day of celebration, what would we do? I think we should try to emulate the aspects of ILD that make it so special and fun for the lolita community. Of course, meetups are fun if you can, but for the majority of us with no local community, we can share outfit photos with one another, celebrate and share our love for mori on social media, get a buzz going, share fun crafty posts, and anything really! Just celebrate the fashion we love together and keep the spirit of mori kei alive!

So, if we celebrate this day, when would it be held? Well, the first IMD was held the third Saturday in Sept of 2014. So this day would be the easiest to revive and keep going. However, I think we should do bi-annually, like ILD. Maybe both September and the third Saturday in April or May. This would allow for Fall and Spring outfits, and a lot of variety in content.

So, what do you think? Would you participate in International Mori Day? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments! I think this would be a fantastic way to keep mori relevant and alive in the J-Fashion community, especially now that mori has all but died in Japan. What do you think? 

Until next time, my deers!

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I would love to do this! I'm also glad you mentioned having it twice a year as I thought that was an excellent idea.
    Personally I'd go for May rather than April as it's still quite warm in Australia in April :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that two times a year would be great too. And i also think it should be the first saturday of the chosen mounth(s) so it will be easy to remember to continue the lolita day tradition☺.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely idea!!!
    Perhaps May is better that April, or at least for some of us living far up north as April still is rather cold. But what is best for majority of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to participate too! It sounds like a good idea, having it be a bi-annual thing will definitely give some variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely participate in Mori Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay🤩🤩🤩I'd love to take part as well

    ReplyDelete