Thursday, November 9, 2023

Bibliotheca November Prompt: Versatility

November's Biblioethica theme is "Versatility". I've chosen to interpret this prompt in two ways! First, to show the versatility of "types" of mori outfits. And second, to share my personal favorite most versatile pieces of clothing that can be used in mori!

Personally, I find mori to be versatile in so many ways, so this prompt fits well.

Versatile Outfits

Mori as a style is incredibly versatile! If you are a long-time reader of this blog, you may remember way back when I used to make posts about theoretical "substyles" of mori, noticing trends in the style and showing how many different ways a mori outfit can look! 

Of course, these days, I would just place all of those "styles" under the main mori umbrella. And I think that is something that is so fun about mori. There is always a way to make the style unique to you, and to fit your own aesthetic preferences.

Let's look at a few!

White and Fairytale-esque





This style may be what you think of when you think of the "classic" version of mori. Full of white, lace-covered, flowing pieces, this style feels like a forest fairy right out of a fairytale!

Foresty and practical




Mori doesn't have to be white and lacey though! Mori may also be more practical, with darker colors and warm layers, suited to a fashionable hike in the woods.

Dark and witchy



Mori can also be dark and mysterious. Not only forest fairies want to look cute! Your local forest witch may also wear mori style.

Colorful and fun


Mori can also be colorful and fun! Especially early magazine outfit shots have many colors, patterns, and bright elements to add a unique look to your wardrobe.

Over the top and fantastical
 

Mori can also be extremes. With added accessories like antlers, or deer makeup, or extra layers, mori can be fantastical, like a video game character come to life.

Casual and cozy



Mori can also be casual and toned down, with simple layers and practical pieces. You can even sometimes find mori outfits with pants ;)

Versatile Pieces

When it comes to individual pieces, I'm sure many mori folk have a few basic versatile pieces they rely on to create easy, cute outfits. For me, I have four.

First is creme base dresses. They're such an easy layer to bring a piece together. The color goes with anything, and you can layer easily with skirts, blouses, and sweaters to create a great look. I've always had multiple in my mori wardrobe, but my favorite has always been the first one I bought, a linen piece I found at a thrift store. It would be way too small for me these days, even if I hadn't worn it so much that it had holes in the end! But I still remember it fondly.

An old photo of me wearing my favorite base dress.

Second is sweaters. Sweaters are not only cozy and allow me to hide my hands like a cartoon character, but also go well with anything. My favorite are long sweaters, which layer well with dresses, or sweaters with unique knit patterns.

Third is boots, particularly mid-calf, lace-up, leather (or in my case faux leather) boots. There's something about wearing a boot that is both practical for every day and somehow makes me instantly feel like I'm ready to go on a forest adventure. If you've never had your own pair of cute little boots, I highly recommend purchasing a pair!

A recent coord where I wore all three of these staples!

Lastly is shawls. I'm lucky enough to know how to knit, so I have knit my own shawl, and it is the best thing I have ever made. I wear it all the time! It makes any outfit feel mori, even basic ones with only a few layers. An absolute essential piece for me.

Another recent outfit with my shawl I made.

How about you? I would love to know the ways you've embraced mori's versatility to best suit you. Also, what are your favorite, most versatile, mori pieces? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. My fav, most versatile pieces are my skirts. I have several skirts that mix and match together for the perfect layering effect everytime!

    ReplyDelete