Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Mori Kei 30 Day Challenge: Day 25

Day 25: How do you feel about the recent cottagecore trend? Do you find it similar to mori? Have you participated in the trend?

I've written about (and talked to friends about) cottagecore before. I have mixed feelings. I don't want to bash or discourage anyone who enjoys the style, and I have no issues with it as a whole. It seems cute and fairly wholesome from what I've seen. What I do have an issue with is how people use the cottagecore and mori tags interchangeably. They're similar aesthetics, to be sure, but they are not the same. Using the tags like that has really cluttered things up and made it super hard to find mori people anymore. So because of that, I sometimes feel a little annoyed with the community.

That being said, I've never participated in the trend. It's cute, but it doesn't have the same feel that mori has for me, so I'm happy enough wearing mori only.

How about you? Do you participate in cottagecore? If so, what do you like about it?



1 comment:

  1. I have the same issue with Cottagecore and Mori tags being so interchangeable and thus making it harder to find real Mori posts. :/ I've noticed that these days there isn't a lot of care for what's accurate and a lot of these new aesthetics just kind of get started by someone on Tumblr or TikTok and then loads of other people start contributing their different ideas to them and so in the end, there isn't really a solid representation of any of these new fashions and whatever old fashions they take over tags for (like technically there is for older ones but it's hard to find bc of the tag issues). I was researching Cottagecore a lot a while back bc I thought (due to the tag issues) that it meant something more like Mori, but then I found the official definition and it's only about 5% the same. It's supposed to be based on English cottage living from like the 1800s and late-ish 1700s so it's more like a Jane Austen regency era countryside living aesthetic than something similar to Mori which seems to draw more on early 1900s vintage and fantasy aspects for a lot of its inspiration. I'm not really into the Cottagecore aesthetic personally. I think it can be cute too but Mori is more my style.

    ReplyDelete