Today's post is a bit of a side tangent that really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. Really, I just wanted to talk about it!
So, does anyone remember those tights? You know the ones. The ones that were in every street snap in the early to mid 2010s?
I spoke about the Grimoire shop a while back in my post on Dolly Kei, but something I forgot to touch on was one of their (arguably) biggest impacts on the J-fashion community at large: the infamous tattoo tights.
This was such a short lived trend, but it was EVERYWHERE. Every J-fashion community, closely related to the Grimoire store and the Dolly Kei trend or not, was obsessed with these. (There are enough image of them even in the mori community that I was able to give them their own tag on the image archive!) A mori influencer at the time even did a review on them (and the dress Grimoire also produced).
And let me tell you. I was hooked! Everywhere you turned, on LiveJournal, Facebook, Tumblr, and more, there was someone talking about buying them, or a knock off, or a similar style! It was everywhere.
Here are just a few examples from Tokyo Fashion! Not all of these were Grimoire tights, but they are all similar styles. Anyone and everyone was wearing these!
The designs of the tights always featured a white or black base, with "tattooed" or stamped images on top. These could be anything, but popular images were vintage art, animals and insects, and cute motifs like ribbons, cats, or teddy bears
They were often paired with two other trends at the time, rocking horse shoes or creepers. Although they could be and were worn with any kind of shoe.
They were sold in the Grimoire official shop, and were, I believe, one of their first original, non-thrift products. If not the first!
They could be bought in person, or on their website, and I recall they were often out of stock due to their popularity. Some people I know waited for their drops like they were upcoming EGL JSK releases.
They did a handful of model shoots with them as well, featuring their own unique takes on how to style them. I really enjoy the nostalgic aesthetic of these photoshoots.
How about you, my deers? Have you heard of these tights? Have you every purchased them? If not, what do you think of this style? I'd love to hear your thoughts about this older fashion trend!
Comments
Post a Comment