Sunday, September 18, 2022

Mori Kei 30 Day Challenge: Day 5

Day 5: Let's talk about lifestyle! What do you consider to be activities that fit a "mori lifestyle"? Do you have any "mori hobbies"?

I personally don't really subscribe to the lifestyle aspect of mori. I do think there are hobbies that fit well with the aesthetic, but I find it kind of restrictive to place lifestyle expectations on a fashion style that anyone can enjoy.

If I had to pick hobbies of mine that fit with the mori theme, I would say hobbies with a focus on slowing down and enjoying the moment, and nature-related hobbies, are the closest! Here are a few of my personal hobbies.

1) Knitting! I love to knit. I never have time to finish projects, but I love the repetitive act of knitting and how relaxing it is, and I love having a unique finished creation I can wear in my outfits. Here are a few of my favorite projects. (By the way, you can also find me under forestsandtea on ravelry!)

                      Hufflepuff Scarf                                                      Cream Shawl

2) Hiking! I love to hike. I used to do a lot of rugged hikes back in the US. I do a lot less of that in Japan, as Japanese people associate hiking with climbing mountains, which are very different for me. But I love to be out in nature, and it's one of my favorite things to do.

Here are a few images from Mount Daisen, which I attempted to climb but didn't make it all the way to the top of.




3) Photography! I'm by no means a professional photographer, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, but I recently bought a nice camera to document my life here in Japan. I've found I really enjoy snapping pictures of the amazing things I've experienced here.  

A small shrine in Ikurado Cave

A Haniwa statue in Miyazaki

A light exhibit in Tottori Prefecture

A shop front in a tiny local town

Another tiny shop front

Lanterns at a Cherry Blossom Festival

Lanterns at night

Another shop front

Hydrangeas at a mountain shrine

Hydrangea baths for a little frog!

A very photographic goat friend

How about you? Do you have any mori hobbies?



1 comment:

  1. First: Your knitting and photography are beautiful!

    While I don't believe anyone has to live a mori lifestyle in order to wear the fashion, it is something that has brought me a lot of happiness and was one of the things that drew me deeply into Mori Kei. That slow living style has done a lot for my sanity and I can see why it's popular with people who don't wear the fashion at all.

    My mori hobbies are crochet, watercolor, sewing, hiking (I live in Pennsylvania: the hiking is good), cooking, and keeping handwritten journals of various kinds (day to day, calendar, dream, morning, poetry, cooking, art, etc.)

    ReplyDelete